Wednesday 23 January 2013

Simple and delicious pud

I try to resist making pudding during the week, inevitably I end up eating them, believe me when I say I do NOT need puddings!! so if I am going to make one its probably on a Sunday when there is a bit more time and usually extra people to feed. I was rootling through the cupboards and realised I had dried figs and apricots left over from Christmas and that I should do something with them rather than leave them until they are beyond their best. Earlier in the year I made a very simple recipe from Nigella's Express . Basically a sheet of puff pastry, score a line around the edge about 1/2" in, this will create a little puffed up edge when cooked. Mix together a little cream and jam - supposed to be apricot but I had some homemade blackberry so used that instead. Spread this mix over the puff pastry up to the score line at the edges. Then I tumbled on lots of snipped up pieces of dried fig and apricots, also a few sultanas and then some blueberries from the fridge. Finally I sprinkled on some soft dark brown sugar......


then popped in the oven at 170C (mine is a fan oven) for around 25-30 mins and it came out looking like this...



it smelt divine, very christmassy. Gorgeous to eat, slightly chewy and full of flavour. Should probably have egg/milk washed pstry edges but forgot and it was fine.  The original recipe was for thinly sliced nectarines which was delicious. I guess it would work with most fruits though.

No comments:

Post a Comment